Chef's Dinners at Waring House Inn [General]

2008 Apr 11
While attending "Maple in the County" recently we stayed at the Waring House Inn just west of Picton on the Loyalist Highway (Highway 33). As part of our package all the meals were included. This covered, 2 Country Breakfasts (Saturday and Sunday) as well as 2 Chef's Dinners (Friday & Saturday Nights). All meals are presented in Amelia's Garden an addition built onto the back of the 1860s old stone farmhouse that is the Inn. The Dining Room is bright and cheery in the daytime, but warm, welcoming and romantic in the evening (primarily due to the lighting). The room is surrounded by windows on all sides and looks out onto the flower gardens and the vineyard farther afield.

Chef Louis de Sousa created two memorable meals each with a different theme. Friday Night was a "County-licious Dinner" (an event like Ottawa Winterlude Dinners when Chefs an evenings menu with a very reasonable fixed price, $ 30 at the Waring House). And on Sunday Night a "Chef's Dinner with Wine Tasting".

County-licious Dinner (3 Courses)

Our reservation was for 7 PM and we were promptly seated, served water and brought a basket of warm bread and Waring House Cheddar Bisquits. I’m not sure how to describe them, they are rich and cheddary, closer to a shortbread cookie or a dense cracker than a bisquit.

While we reviewed the evening's choices, we ordered a bottle of Pinot Gris from Argentina (J&F Lurton).

Our Dinner choices were:

Asparagus & Yukon Gold Puree Soup
Presented with prawn & butternut squash custard

Or

Duck Confit Spring Roll Crisp
With star anise, orange, and rice wine reduction and candied beets
Served over mesclun greens

Proscuitto-wrapped Ontario Pork Tenderloin
Stuffed with spinach, brie, candied pecans and caramelized pears
Presented on a sweet potato herb pancake,
Surrounded by a pool of County cheddar ale cream sauce

Or

West Coast Salmon Paupiette
Presented on crab and potato rosti
With Pat York’s red pepper wine jelly
Garnished with leek crisps

County Maple Crème Brulee
With shortbread

Or

Our Pastry Chef’s Special Feature of the Day

I chose the Soup, Salmon and the Crème Brulee, “The Man” went with the Spring Roll, Pork Tenderloin and the Crème Brulee. As always we shared bites, the soup was delicious and the floating island formed by the butternut squash and the prawn gave interest to the dish. The Spring Roll was tasty. It was very exotic, and was presented on a long narrow rectangular plate. The Salmon was fantastic! I love salmon, and this dish was perfectly done to my liking. The crab and potato made for a “stand up” presentation (and a yummy one) while the red pepper wine jelly was a superb accompaniment. “The Man” thoroughly enjoyed the melt-in-your-mouth pork tenderloin. The stuffing was amazing, a wonderful combination of flavours. For dessert we both chose the Maple Crème Brulee with coffee. We were stuffed, but oh so satisfied!

2008 Apr 11
Chef Dinner by Luis de Sousa with County Wine Pairings

Saturday Night’s Chef’s Dinner was again served in Amelia’s Garden. This was a 5 course meal, served with a 4 course Prince Edward County Wine Flight. Because we had pre-arranged for the Chef’s Dinner and Wine Tasting, we were greeted by a member of the waitstaff who is highly familiar with the wine cellar (may have been a sommelier student). She was our primary attendant for the evening. After being seated, we decided to begin our evening with a small bottle of sparkling wine, as we were celebrating finally having a weekend away (we didn’t get away for a vacation this winter). It was refreshing to have someone serving the wine who was knowledgeable, and therefore didn’t stuggle with the cork on the bottle of sparkling wine. Also the bottle was put in a chiller, and refills were poured unobtrusively.

Chef Luis de Sousa prepared a magnificent dinner, and the Wine Steward John Ficker had selected matchings from Prince Edward County. The courses were as follows:

County Butternut Squash Bisque
With blue cheese and walnut wonton
2006 Riesling - Sandbanks Estate Winery VQA

Campbell’s Orchard Pear and Brie Calzone
With red wine glaze
2005 Seyval Blanc - Waupoos Estates Winery VQA

Millcreek Farms Lamb Chops with Tapenade Herb Crust
Served with lamb au jus and basmati rice
2006 Cabernet Franc - Black Prince Winery VQA

Venison Medallions, grilled to perfection
Accompanied by Jumbo Tiger Shrimp
And Honey Wagon Farms Butter Squash Flan
Drizzled with Pat York’s Columbia blue raspberry and blackberry merlot glaze
2004 Cabernets - Carmela Estates Winery VQA

A selection from Pastry Chef’s Delicious Desserts of the Day
-- We chose the Coconut Cream Pie (probably the best we've ever tasted)

There are not words to describe how great the food was. Our favourite course however were the Lamb Chops, they were melt in your mouth delicious, and this was the best wine pairing in our opinion.

The food, the ambiance, the service, everything was impeccable!

2008 Apr 11
Breakfast at the Waring House Inn

Breakfasts are served in the front room of Amelia's Garden (until 10 AM or so). This side of the Restaurant is less formal although decorated in a similar fashion so that the two rooms can be combined into one. The front room is closer to the kitchen, and wine cellar, and the main entrance and exit, so there is a lot more noise and traffic.

Our Country Breakfast coupons (for both days) allowed us to indulge in anything from the Breakfast Menu. Both “The Man” and I chose the Traditional Farmers Breakfast. Two eggs any style; ham, bacon or sausage, homefries and toast. “The Man” loves breakfast at the Waring House. The eggs and bacon are not like any you get in the grocery store, both are sourced locally. I for one agree that the eggs are fluffier and I attribute this to the fact they are fresher. The bacon is both crisp and yet chewy at the same time (not all dried out like other places). Homefries and toast are fairly average, except for the fact that both are served with homemade condiments… ketchup and jam, these are both yummy. Tea and Coffee are endless, and there are newspapers available for early morning reading. If not for the fact that we had places to go, we could have easily dragged breakfast into a second hour. Other breakfast menu items include: French Toast, Waffles and “Breakfast from the County” (more food than I can ever imagine eating).

And for those who can, there is always the Sunday Brunch (starts shortly after 11 AM). Which I understand is absolutely fantastic!

Although the Waring House is primarily an "adult get-away", on every visit we have seen families who come here just for the Breakfast or Brunch. It is a nice outing and I understand they are particularly busy on holidays such as Easter Weekend, Mother's Day, Father's Day and Thanksgiving Weekend.

2008 Apr 11
Barley Days Pub at the Waring House

After a day of touring the county for the “Maple Festival” we came back to the Barley Room Pub for a drink. The Barley Days Pub is the most casual of all the dining areas, and is located in the former Carriage House. The stone carriage house is wonderful in detail with its fireplace, cozy seating and large four sided bar. The menu here includes Pub Fare along with Daily Specials (Soup, Pasta, Hot Pot, Sandwich etc). There are plenty of brews on tap, as well as Prince Edward County Cider and a large list of wines available by the glass. "The Man” had a Barley Days Pale Ale and I had a County Cider (warning Cider comes in at 20 oz unless you ask for a half). Besides people watching, or checking out the farm implements and ancient cooking items that line the walls (can you guess what that is?). You can also read the newspaper (various ones are available), or check out one of the many Trivial Pursuit question boxes that sit along the bar and thereby generate small talk to pass the time. The Pub also has live musical entertainment four nights a week. All of the musicians we've heard we've enjoyed.

2008 Apr 11
Please, no offence to F&T, ... but shouldn't these 'reviews' be in the Buzz section ?

2008 Apr 11
Captain Caper, F&T approached me about that, and here was my latest reply:

==========
I can think of two ways to handle the Chef's Dinner phenomenon. The first is, as you suggest, create a forum topic (this makes the most sense if the particular Chef's Dinner is a one-time event).

The other way to handle it, especially for a chef who hosts periodic dinners would be to create a new Food called something like "Chef's Dinner - with Ron McDonald" (where R.McDonald is the chef's name). This way the "food" could be associated with multiple restaurants, including the chef's homebase if appropriate. A chef's dinner can be considered a food the same way "Weekend Brunch" is considered to be a food. I hope this makes sense to you!
==========

Since these Chef's Dinners don't really reflect on the day to day food served at the restaurant, I agree with F&T that her comments don't need to go in the buzz section. You okay with that? ;-)

2008 Apr 12
Captain C - Let me add no offence taken. Fresh Foodie has explained our conversation well, and besides in this instance Waring House is outside of Ottawa, (all the more reason to be in the Forum), but nonetheless, I did want to share my experience, especially seeing as PE County is somewhere's close enough to drive to and enjoy.

PS... Did you see my comments about Black River Cheese Ice Cream, I'm now very much looking forward to their soft serve (starts Mother's Day).

2008 Apr 12

Hey ... Here I am enjoying a cool Beau's Lug Tread

FF: Sounds good to me. Looks like I wasn't the only one scratching one's head over this.

F&T: Saw your ice cream comments. I'll pit that soft serve cone vs. a Reid's Dairy s/s. Looks like I won't be down to PEC til the free music festival near 'The Lake on The Hill' occurs. Late summer, I think. Do you like to take the Colonial Hwy. and go over the 'free' ferry ?

2008 Apr 12
Captain C - Had the topic discussion with Fresh Foodie because it was hard to know where to put Chef`s Dinners into the mix of things (even if they were held in Ottawa). It's a tough call because a chef may do offsite fundraising events not associated with his home restaurant. (I love Chef Dinners, and typically do a couple a year).

We try to get down to PE County a couple of times a year, and everytime we go we find new things. I am looking forward to this summer and testing all the ice cream I have been directed to (Black River Cheese, Slickers, and Reid's Dairy in Kingston). From your posts I learned about the Lake on the Mountain Music Festival, and "The Man" a big blues / jazz fan is looking forward to checking this out. We typically go to the Picton area via the 401, and come back via the Loyalist Highway. Funny thing is "The Man" travelled to Sandbanks for years with his kids (didn't we all), but he had no idea about the Glenora Ferry or Lake on the Mountain. This is something I told him about. He was absolutely amazed the first time he set eyes on them. Now they are a favourite part of our County visits.

We took the ferry this latest trip, and were surprised to discover it is open all winter... they cut a channel in the ice. Quite a different experience than going in the summer or fall.