preserved lemons [Food/Vendor]

2007 Dec 17
You were all so much help with the panko breadcrumbs!
Now I'm looking for preserved lemons. Tried to make them....disaster!
thanks

2007 Dec 17
I have a faint memory of seeing them at the Bagel Shop. Could be mistaken, however.

2007 Dec 17
I've added "Preserved Lemon" as a food: Preserved Lemon. Comments about where to get them should go there. This food will appear in the "desperately seeking" list (ottawafoodies.com/seeking) until we add a source for them.

I also created a Panko food item and moved the discussion there: Panko

2007 Dec 18
hey luv2cook they are not that hard to make I have a foolproof recipe if you want to email me at brucethechef@shaw.ca in the meantime you can buy them in the Middle Eastern store in the Market building or at Mid east food centre on St. Laurent (worth a trip for the baklava!)

2007 Dec 18
Thyme and Again has them sometimes but they go fast. You might want to call ahead of time.

2007 Dec 18
Market 168 (www.ottawafoodies.com) on Somerset has preserved dried lemons (and limes by the way) in bags. (150 grams for about 2 bucks)
If you're up to giving it another shot at home (and can wait the few weeks until they're ready)...
www.elise.com

2007 Dec 18
just curious, what sort of dish do you use preserved lemons in?

2007 Dec 18
A lot of Moroccan recipes (lamb tajine in particular) call for it. I think I've seen it at the same place Bruce the chef mentioned, though I've heard they are easy to make.

2007 Dec 19
the latest issue of food and wine had a recipe for chickpea tagine with preserved lemons. Even with regular lemons it was stellar.
my lemons went mouldy when I tried to make them.

2007 Dec 19
I first heard about preserved lemons in the Paula Wolfert cookbook "Couscous and other good food from Morocco". I seem to recall seeing some recipes in there that call for preserved lemons.

2007 Dec 19
What the heck are preserved lemons?

Wikipedia is not helping me.

2007 Dec 19
They're lemons preserved in salt. You split the lemons into quarters, keeping them intact at one end, and then layer them with coarse salt. Then you just wait for a while.

I've never made them myself, because I don't have a jar large enough to hold them.

2007 Dec 19
Well I have never actually preserved lemons myself but I believe the concept is similar to the way we pickle things here in Canada. The lemons are placed in a jar, it is filled with liquid (water I think) then lots of salt and possibly Moroccan spices. Not sure if they are pressure canned or canned in a hot water bath canner. (If anyone can elaborate more feel free to jump in.) They are usually used in tagines.

2007 Dec 19
Here's a low-volume one that looks pretty OK: www.foodtv.ca

Not pressure canned at all, and minimal liquid. It's all salt and spice (cinnamon, allspice, etc.)

2008 Jan 8
Hi,
I am just curious to know about the recipe where this preserved lemons can be used . i would be thankful to you if you can send me any recipe based on that.

2008 Jan 8
preserved lemons are made by layering lemons with olive oil, lemon juice, coarse salt and spices (I usually use pickling spice) left to their devices for a min of 3 months the rind is then used to flavour all sorts of things - diced they are wonderful in risotto tonight at work we are doing mussels with preserved lemon, cilantro spinach and creme and there is a beautiful paula Wolfert dish with chicken PL olives coriander and garlic. Preston hardware has great(cheap) jars for making them.

2008 Jan 9
Thanks for the hint on where to get jars, Bruce. I'll definitely have a look the next time I'm in the area!