Eating Local [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jul 9
Wifey and I have made a big push this year to buy local produce. It makes a lot of sense to do:

* Local produce is picked ripe and tastes better (more vitamins too)
* Shipping food across continents is plain silly environmentally

Here's a decent article I saw today that prompted me to post on this topic:
cityjournal.ca

Bottom line is that if you shop at the Byward or Parkdale markets and care about buying local, you'd best interrogate the vendor and trust them.

We've been buying our produce from:

* Ottawa Farmers Market (Lansdowne Park) Ottawa Farmer's Market
* Carp Farmers Market Carp Farmers' Market
* Ottawa Organics basket (bi-weekly delivery) Ottawa Organics
* Life Organic basket (bi-weekly delivery) Life Organic

We get the deliveries on alternating weeks -- initially to try them both out, but now we find it is great for variety.

2007 Jul 9
The City of Ottawa also runs a "Good Food Box" similar to the Ottawa organics idea but not necessarily organic. I just recently found out about it but may try it out in the winter when the farmers markets are closed. There is also a much smaller organic farmers market in Ottawa South but they are only open on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. By the way do you have any comments to share about Ottawa Organics? I get their newsletter but haven't tried them yet since they seemed to be carrying "imported" fruits and veggies at first although that seems to be changing now that the local produce is available. I'd love to hear other people's comments feedback etc.

2007 Jul 9
There was an article in today's Citizen about local/California strawberries:

www.canada.com

I don't get the problem with the price difference; they're two different fruits, for heavens' sakes. The CA ones in stores this spring were some of the worst "strawberries" I've ever had. I hadn't previously realised that they were going the way of tomatoes -- large, unblemished, cardboard-y.

Thanks for the market recommendations; the strawberry thing has left me bitter enough at the supermarkets to go out of my way as often as possible. I feel very naive, now, for having thought "Well, the Ontario ones will show up in the stores soon," and actually having been surprised that they'd continue to flog the awful California ones... I take it few people still make jam or ice cream?

I'm starting to have fantasies about no-nonsense, fussbudget produce buyers. I'd love to show up at my local 'Your Independent Grocer' or 'A&P' and get 'Yes, we have no bananas...' Er, sorry. Get stuff like 'We have no red onions this week. They were dry and bitter; dreadful. I'm not selling that garbage. You'll have to wait til later for your sandwich' rather than be routinely, repeatedly sold dreadful fruit and veg. I've become extremely produce-picky since being pregnant; it's great in some ways, I'm forced into finding better and better stuff. Downside is that "normal" stuff is really starting to seem awful, and I'm dreading the winter supermarket produce selection.

2007 Jul 9
We've been quite happy with Ottawa Organics. The owner, Matt, who's a member of this site is really committed to his endeavour and is very open to feedback. Understandably, there were a couple of hiccups with the first delivery. We got some zucchini that were in terrible shape and he gave us a credit for it. Overall the quality is great, and he's trying to get as much locally as possible (more and more each week, as Pasta lover mentioned).

kmennie, both Ottawa Organics and Life Organic actually *do* behave like your dream-scenario cantankerous shopkeeper. Early in the week they tell you what is planned for the upcoming basket, allowing you to make substitutions (Life Organic is a bit more advanced on this front). Then, when they deliver the basket, you sometimes find that produce has been replaced because the produce buyer said, "We have no red onions this week. They were dry and bitter; dreadful. I'm not selling that garbage." ;-)

As for strawberries, I didn't find any local organic ones. The ones from the McGregor's stand at the Carp Fair were very good and very small, and they claim not to spray the plants after fruit appears. Now small strawberries are awesome (closer to wild strawberries), but if you're hulling 12 litres of them they would be a major pain!

This photo shows 12 litres of strawberries that I picked up on Sunday from Shouldice Farms. I think they spray more than McGregor's but the berries are a bit bigger and they're grown about 1 km from our house! I turned one of these baskets into 4 litres of freezer jam. Another one was individually quick-frozen on baking sheets and then zip-loc'd for storage. Half of the last basket was consumed fresh with ice cream yesterday, and the other half will adorn a cheesecake that wifey is making as I write!

2007 Jul 9
Speaking of which: I've been looking for local cherries at my local grocer's (Hartman's) for the last couple of weeks, but haven't seen any other than US ones. Has anybody else had any luck? I ate roughly eighty tonnes of cherries when I was down in Niagara last weekend, and I'm going through withdrawl.

2007 Jul 9
I've looked with lust at those organic produce delivery services, but I think I'm stuck with having to go find my own food out here in Pakenham. I think most of them opened up just as I was moving out of downtown Ottawa, too. Hrmph!

On the plus side, the Y-I-G supermarket in Almonte, which I usually avoid because the produce has been so lousy on so many visits, had Ontario raspberries tonight; they were sold out of strawberries, but -- it was local strawberries they were sold out of, so I'm sort of cheered.

Cherries were still American, though.

Speaking of stuff like hulling 12 litres -- has anybody found an easy way to get most of the seeds out of one's strawberry mush for ice cream? Cheesecloth just makes me think there must be an easier way. If large processors do it with some sort of chemical bath, I'm not entirely sure I want to know, but...

2007 Jul 10
I recently moved to Manotick and I've been just floored by the amount of local produce the YIG carries, compared to the offerings at my former Loblaws and A&P. I had heard from growers that it's become virtually impossible to sell to grocery store chains because to keep prices low, these chains insist on buying enough produce for an entire region. Maybe the YIGs, being "independent" have more leeway?

As for getting the seeds out of strawberry mush, have you tried a juicer or would that create a too-thin mush?

2007 Jul 10
This reminds me of something I read about recently, the 100 Mile Diet.

www.100milediet.org/

2007 Jul 10
www.saffirefarms.ca is located near Pakenham. They don't do substitutions but I'm happy with them so far. And this is only their first year so maybe they'll consdier that for next year. There may still be time to get in on this year's - there's only been 1 basket so far.

2007 Jul 11
I'm not familiar with Pakenham but have you ever been to Foodsmiths in Perth? They have such a lovely selection of fruits and veggies and every type of Back Forty cheese - my favourite! My sister lives in the area and when I visit her we tie in a trip to Foodsmiths on my way back to Ottawa and I am so envious - it's the only time I wish I had a car...

2007 Jul 12
"have you ever been to Foodsmiths in Perth?"

Yes!

Foodsmiths

Re. car, I'm going to go off-topic here and recommend Vrtucar. vrtucar.com/
Maybe a bit much to use a car-sharing service almost just to go to find food, but, uh...I would/did...

(FF: putting the 1st line of a post in "//"s to italicize always means it just shows up as a wee box, no text. Help?)

2007 Jul 12
re: FF...

Yes, that's my fault and it's on my list to fix. Thanks for the prod. :)