A Taste for Life [Events]

2007 Apr 17
WEDNESDAY APRIL 25, 2007 - marks the 9th annual "A TASTE FOR LIFE" event. A TASTE FOR LIFE is a chance for you to dine at a participating restaurant of your choice, and raise funds to help fight the impact of HIV/AIDS in our community. Participating restaurants will be donating 25% of their total restaurant sales (including food and alcohol) to The Snowy Owl AIDS Foundation and Bruce House.

Be sure to check the A TASTE FOR LIFE website www.atasteforlife.org and make your reservations now.

2007 Apr 17
We already have our reservation at Allium. It's $ 50 for a set menu. It should be a lot of fun. It's all for a good cause.

2007 Apr 19
I called Allium yesterday to reserve for the 25th and sadly they are already full :(:(
So we are going on Friday night instead! :)

2007 Apr 20
I tried to get a reservation at Whalesbones but they are booked... in fact, saw Mr. Vardy the other day and he said they are booked solid usually 2 weeks in advance... so if you want to eat at Whalesbones, plan ahead!

So we now have a reservation at the Urban Pear...

I am missing my aerobics class to pig out for a good cause. What can be better than that? (grin)

-M.

2007 Apr 24
Somebody's just pointed out to me that

"The restaurant will donate 25% of the cost of your meal
to Bruce House and the Snowy Owl AIDS Foundation"

is somewhat ambiguous. As in, the actual cost of the meal is substantially less than what one's tab in a restaurant is. And, does it include beverages?

I've been to this before, and wish more charities would do something similar, and have no desire to complain about a good idea. While I assume "25% of the cost of your meal" means "25% of the cost of your meal to you," I have nothing to substantiate that. It is poorly worded.

Any comments?

2007 Apr 24
25% of an ambiguous cost is probably still better than what the participating restaurants in Toronto are promising: "a portion of the cost of your meal..." :-)

2007 Apr 26
I went to Kinki's for this event and asked for clarification re. 25% off cost or revenue and the answer I got was 'off revenue'.

2008 Apr 23
Today, Wednesday April 23, 2008 is the date for this year's event. Is anyone made plans to take part?

2008 Apr 24
I went to Savana Café last night for A Taste for Life - they said it was 25% of your total bill, plus they gave envelopes for "personal donations" to each table.

2008 Apr 24
Jules - That was very generous of Savana Cafe, I heard thru the grapevine that some places were 25% of just the meal portion (no drinks). The envelopes were a nice touch too, in case someone wanted to contribute more (could see this if there were a table of 4 friends and they decided to round-up to the next $ 20 say).

Do dish... how was the meal?

2008 Apr 26
Yes, it was very generous and they seemed really conscientious about promoting the charity aspect of the evening. The story on the envelopes was that you could donate by cash or credit card and the extra incentive being you could win a prize (cooking demos at Urban Element, tickets to the NAC, etc.).

The meal was....not as good as I expected! But I will do my duty and go post a review right now!