Arby's is coming back! [Food/Vendor]

2009 Dec 8
After a....hmm....couple of decades(?) Arby's will be opening a restaurant where BK used to be on Hazeldean and Castlefrank. They are renovating the place as I speak....or type...

Now I'll be able to get rid of my Arby's hat real soon!

2009 Dec 8
Ack! I tried Arby's for the first time a year ago (in Kingman, AZ) and it was even worse than I expected. The Hazeldean/Castlefrank location puts it near enough to my workplace that I'll have many opportunities to regret its reappearance. ;-)

Does anyone really like their "roast beef" sandwiches?

2009 Dec 8
Scary, yet tempting, for old times sake.

2009 Dec 8
My sister LOVES Arby's and gorges when she goes home on her breaks... I don't mind it personally, but I don't go out of my way for it. Thanks for the info though, monkey feet, she will be SO excited.

2009 Dec 9
The first stage is acceptance.. so here goes. My name is Peter, and I really like Arby's sandwiches. I've liked them for many years, and it's been 1 month since I last tasted one...

2009 Dec 9
Is this actually true? If so WHOOOOO!!! My boyfriend and his friends love this place it means no more wasting gas for trips to NY and Kingston just for Arby's!

2009 Dec 9
Thanks for the heads up- it’s been a while since I’ve been to Arby’s. I live nearby and I’m looking forward to their curly fries and horsey sauce.

2009 Dec 9
Hey, there will be one less dismantled eyesore at that corner. It's been years since the BK closed down and it has been rather depressing standing there as a dead husk.

2009 Dec 9
I have seen Arby's on TV ad before, but I have never tried its food.
I really wonder what is like.

Pete: Since you are big fan of Arby's, would you tell me what is your favourite? What should I try for the first time to experience the taste of Arby's???

2009 Dec 9
Ok.. to be clear, the best part of Arby's in my opinion is the roast beef, and the egg buns it's put on. Everything else makes it 'less' good in my opinion. So the simple sandwiches with just beef and bread are what I like.
They have a lot of standard toppings on various sandwiches:
Bacon - standard paper thin bacon-like substance that is very underwhelming
Cheese - is actually a cheese sauce, similar to that sold with nachos at theme parks. Very salty, not very cheesy, and sometimes gross.
Mushrooms - also very underwhelming.

I like them, because instead of paying money for McDonalds burger, you can spend a similar amount and get REAL sliced roast beef!

Some folks like the 'Horsey' sauce ( horseradish-like condiment ) but I've not been a fan. Further, they used to regularly have offers of 5 sandwiches for 5 bucks... a deal you can't really beat.

2009 Dec 9
UGH... The only good news is like Jagash said the empty BK space will have a tenant. Trying to remember exactly how long that space has been vacant... it sure has been a long long time.

Does anyone remember when Arby's was here last? They were in Bell's Corners, in what was then the KMart Parking Lot... they had a stand-alone building (long since ripped down), right at the southeast corner of Robertson Road and Moodie Drive.

As a side note... I know that Burger-thing disappeared on Hazeldean Road and in Bell's Corners (building torn down, is now where the new Holiday Inn is). I'm not much into fast food, so it isn't a market sector I watch... so I'm wondering is this a trend in Ottawa, are they all going the way of the dinosaur?

2009 Dec 9
Wow! I didn't realize people actually liked Arby's! I always find myself saying "yuck!" whenever I see their commercials, but it may also have to do with the fact that I hate roast beef and the idea of gooey cheese on it makes it all the more...um...gross :D

A pre-emptive "yay!" though from me to all those who enjoy it :P

2009 Dec 9
Pete In Ottawa, you are hilarious. I too prefer the plain beef and bread. The cheese is disgusting. Basically a processed cheese. Never had it with bacon or mushrooms. Everything you have mentioned - 5 for 5, and beef instead of burger - is why I prefer Arby's over McD or BK. Maybe I can temp some of you with a sandwich on me? Hmmmm????

I know my mother will be excited. She still remembers the Bells Corner Arbys way back when. That empty spot would still be a great spot to open up a family restaurant, don't you guys think?

Now...what can they do with the now empty Rogers Video store right across from the Arbys?

2009 Dec 9
Popeye's? Long John Silvers? No... WHITE CASTLE!!!

2009 Dec 9
I've had Arby's aficionados tell me the same thing, Pete: people who hate on Arby's haven't had the roast beef sandwiches.

So I'll definitely have to go at least once ;)

2009 Dec 9
Yeeesh !!!

Anyone ever peak inside their Arby's roastbeef sandwich?

Mine (the one and only on I tried), looked liked compressed beef parts bound together with cartlidge, grizzle, and fat. Almost looked like a beef headcheese.

2009 Dec 9
Here's another example without the so called 'cheese'.

2009 Dec 9
My stomach just growled, a faint dribble of saliva formed at the corner of my mouth... I will organize an Arby's outing for their 5-for-$5 is anyone's interested!

2009 Dec 9
Pete:
>>Bacon - standard paper thin bacon-like substance that is very underwhelming

Underwhelming!!!! lol!!! I have never heard of it...so funny! I will use this word from now on.
So, I will try a simple one, just with roast beef with egg buns. But I kinda like to know how "underwhelming" other ingredients are...

Chimichimi: I am interested!! :) Bring my camera!! It will be my first review on OF!!

2009 Dec 9
So is Chucky cheese next !!!!!!!!

2009 Dec 9
Please not a Chucky Cheese cakelady ....how about something more upscale - how about Chickfila www.chickfila.com/#home or my all time -lets bring the family out and get sick: jack-in-the-box www.jackinthebox.com/

My last trip to Arby's was a year ago in Atlanta - not my choice but the customers. I actally liked the Crispy Chicken Bacon Swiss sandwich (see picture). Now they use real bacon slices and not the stuff you find at most joints here in Ottawa. The gross bacon Wendy's puts on the Bacon sandwich

2009 Dec 9
Chik-fil-a isn't that bad, reminded me of Mary Brown's Fried Chicken.

2009 Dec 9
JDK, that was ment tongue in cheek! I really dont want to see any more crappy fast food places take over our city. we have enough of those already.

2009 Dec 9
I am sooooo excited that Arby's is making an Ottawa come back. I rarely bordering on never eat at fast-food places, but my girlfriends and I have been known to roadtrip to Kingston when we are craving Arby's. Like others have mentioned the only truly addictive food is the plain roast beef sandwich, and don't be tempted to go with the medium or large size (the beef to bread proportion is gross). I always go with the two of the regular size roast beef sandwiches. DELISH! make sure to drink lots of water as well because these are salty.

2009 Dec 9
cakelady ... I saw the joke and comment well ahead of time. imagine a Jack-in the Box!!!

You rule (as my daughters would say)

Cheers !!

and a Christmas kiss !!

2009 Dec 10
Arby's - YES!!!

Secretly, everytime I have roast beef at someone's house or at a function or family, I wish it was like Arby's. Love their pressed roast beef with egg bun, yellow cheese goop and Arby's sauce.

When I first got here to Ottawa I looked on the internet for Arby's and it gave me locations. When I went, they were long gone. So sad not to get them. This makes me very happy.

2009 Dec 14
I didn't know Arby's and Wendy's are run by the same company.
In Japan, Wendy's is packing up and end their business for good! I guess Wendy's couldn't make enough money in my country...
I don't recall any Arby's restaurant in japan. I have to ask my sister.

2009 Dec 17
When does it open! I need to taste their roast*meat* sandwiches... I loved them when i was a kid!

2009 Dec 18
Arby's is the best money can buy fast food sandwiches. It is healthier and it is by far better meat. Their cheese is real cheese not colored potato like most if not all other fast food junk. No grease whatsoever like those rubber made like those burger places.
If you want to buy a roast from the grocery store you pay at least $10 per pound. Ground meat the best is $3.50 per pound.
The have sandwiches called market fresh if your try one you be going back every day. Man their BLT…. O my Lord the best ever BLT so huge and big. Only Arby's the sandwich is a lot bigger than the pictures, I tell you all other competitors make their sandwiches look big on TV and when you go there they are too small.. Or the shakes … curly fries made of real potatoes.
If you like good foods at affordable price go to Arby's.
They also have chicken tenders THE BEST I love them.
I hardly can wait. Last time I bought 50 sandwiches put them in the freezer and I used to take them to work for lunch. Can you do this with the slime greased burgers …?

2009 Dec 18
Gimme an 'S'

2009 Dec 19
What I'd like to know is... are there two different restaurant chains that go by the name "Arby's?"

Half the people here are gushing over the quality of the meat, cheese, and bread, but the Arby's sandwich I tried one time featured a powdery yellow bun, brightly coloured liquid cheese, and thin grey sheets of a heavily processed meat-like product.

Is the difference really just one of personal preference or is there a real variation in product between locations?

2009 Dec 20
FF, there is only one restaurant. Believe it or not, there isn't a variation in the product!

NU2319 really needs to check the nutritional info on the "deli fresh" sandwiches. It is probably near the back of his franchisee package.

2009 Dec 28
Hi FF I am an Arby's fan since I eat it in New York 20 years ago. The quality is amazing . Their meat. chicken or fish products are Grade AAA . I followed their history since and I found their process and clean kitchens to be the industry icon. They use true chesse no powders as you said in matter of fact I checked their nutrional fact sheet and I was trully impressed. Do you mind if you tell me where did you try it ? Do you know their Chicken tenders are the trully the tender part the most expensive part of the chicken. I am going to buy you your first meal if you allow me .

2009 Dec 28
I tried it in Kingman, Arizona, but I'll be sure to try the Kanata one when it opens. From what I can tell by reading the internet, the meat is a heavily processed, cured beef product, but it doesn't "arrive in liquid form" at the restaurant prior to cooking as some urban legends might suggest. ;-)

2009 Dec 30
ok, I guess I just don't get why people like Arby's. Tried it a few times and really didn't feel too good afterward.
Very happy for those who do like it though...

2010 Jan 1
Gimme an 'H'

2010 Jan 2
Hate to break it to you guys but Arby's isn't great. I've had access to Arby's up until a year and a half ago. While their "roast beef" is somewhat of a welcome change to the typical burger, I'd hate to see the sodium content of one of their sandwiches.

I recall ordering an Arby's Beef and Cheddar thinking "sounds good" only to bite into this gluey mush of neon orange 7-11 nacho dispenser "cheese." combined with salty warm "Carl Budding"-like beef and a squishy, processed bun.

I know that food is not good when I close my eyes and think, "what is this I'm eating?"

Food is about flavours and texture.

I get more satifaction from a Wendy's baked potato and chili.

2010 Jan 2
:) @ PiO... I didn't know where you were going with the "S", I was never any good at hangman.

As suggested, NU2319 should consult page 46 of the new franchisee's handbook. It talks about the nutritional analysis (and tells you to never, ever, bring up the topic... rather attempt to divert the conversation as quickly as possible).

Since I am a quantitative kind of guy, lets compare a standard lunch combo (med roast beef sandwich, with med curly fry) against the black sheep of the fast food industry, the Big Mac Combo.

Ding, ding, ding...

In pure gut filling mass, it is too close to call, with Arby's providing just 16g more "food".

As for energy, Arby's 990 kcal vs McD's 890 kcal. The "winner" is Arby's.... assuming you need this energy to run a marathon or something. For the rest of us couch potatoes, that is 23 minutes on the treadmill we will never do.

Fat, Sat Fat, Trans Fat = tie. Actually, it is surprisingly close. Arby's comes in at 48/11/1.0, McD's at 47/12/0.7. While the additional 0.3g of trans fats is alarming, no one loses here except the consumer.

It all comes down to Sodium.... the crowd comes to it's feet. McD's posts a 1290mg. Whoa. That is almost 1.5mg / kcal. Way over the inflated HC target (those darn sodium mining association lobbyists). Arby's steps up to the mat with a 2610mg. Could that be a typo? Sadly no.

... and I was being kind. It took me a while just to find an Arby's meal that didn't get it's doors blown off (i.e. don't look at anything with cheese sauce, or the "market fresh" line. For those who like Arby's (myself included), enjoy it for the guilty pleasure it is. But don't think that is nutritionally superior to any other fast food establishment, because it isn't.

2010 Jan 3
I love the triple A beef claim. Perhaps it comes from the 'Triple-A' ranch, making it technically eligible for that name ;-)

2010 Jan 4
P-i-O - "SH..." that is funny stuff. Or should I have said, that stuff is funny SH..!

HungryHungryHippo - Love the mind-blowing stats, especially those found on Page 46.

You guys rock!

2010 Jan 4
Is it bad that I still feel the need to clog my arteries... what if I eat healthy for a week after that?

2010 Jan 4
I wonder if Arby's can get licsened to sell Plavix as a side order ?

That way one does not have to eat healthy for a week following a Arby's binge.

2010 Jan 4
... and if Plavix gets liscened, then might as well throw Lipitor in as a side order as well .... for the 'Cholresteral Conscienced'.

2010 Jan 4
I was always a fan of the Beef n Cheddar, but I won't go too far out of my way to get one.

But as far as fast food goes, I never miss a chance to hit a Taco Time whenever I visit family out west.

2010 Jan 6
I did some research on my road trip to Winnipeg over the holidays. I had a plain Arby's roast beef, with horseradish sauce. My kids had the loaded potato thingys, and chicken bits.

1. Servers are friendlier and more willing to help all across the northern US compared to anywhere in Canada.
2. The roast beef sandwich was a nice break from Rotten Ronnies and tasted ok.
My wife had the ruben - it was ok, better than most of the other fast food choices.
3. The "sides" were a bit more interesting than other places.
4. Culvers butter burgers and frozen custard shakes ROCK! (you need to do a road trip through Michigan Upper Peninsula to followup on #4).

2010 Jan 6
"i'm so hungry i could eat at Arby's"

2010 Jan 16
Like Harvey's slide burgers they are good at 2 in the morning to help with that queezy feeling in your stomach after a night of drinking. The grease does wonders. At least it worked for me many years ago during my days of over indulgences where my 2 in the morning taste buds were shot but I needed something to soak up all the cheap alcohol.

2010 Jan 21
2 words.

CURLY FRIES!

2010 Jan 21
You should specify... bacon cheddar curly fries :) Anyone remember that song?

2010 Jan 22
Anyone know if this place in Kanata is open yet... I could really go for those curly fries and a chicken-bacon-swiss!

2010 Jan 22
It's not open, and doesn't look close. I would suspect it will be at least a month.

I'll report here when it does as I pass it everyday.

2010 Jan 22
Awesome, thank you!

2010 Feb 16
Any one have any more news on when it is expecting to open?

2010 Feb 16
Please tell me it's open...

2010 Feb 16
Sorry Chimichimi - not yet. Had breakfast at Rocking Johnny's this past weekend on Hazeldean Road and decided to check it out. The outside has been nicely redone and the insides is shaping up ....so I would say soon !!!

2010 Feb 16
I'm looking forward to my roast beef sandwich salt lick.

2010 Feb 18
Internet tells me it's opening tomorrow morning. No joke. Would Internet lie?

2010 Feb 18
Damn... I'm taking tomorrow off, and I wanted to try Vera's... but now Arby's is opening as well, so confusing, I don't know what to do! Maybe hit BOTH?!

2010 Feb 19
yeah .. i'm going to try to hit both of the above as well this weekend! I'm in a junk food kinda mood.

2010 Feb 19
Hilarious thread. Funnier still, we're up to close to 60 posts on this topic. Love Caper and PIO's posts. Never had Arby's, nor will I ever, judging by the pics in some of these posts and the descriptions of the served fare.

I never understood these cold cut sandwich joints. Burgers I understand, a bit of a production to prepare at home, so I can see the time-saving value of burger fast food places. But for cold cuts, you can get much better quality deli meat at the supermarket (for less money), with good bread and real cheese, not to mention much better garnishings and condiments.

2010 Feb 19
Don't derail, NickFoodie. IS IT OPEN YET?

2010 Feb 19
Just came back from Arby's. Tastes the same as I remember. Just a nice alternative from McD's.
My GF likes the curly fries and turnovers. She got the 4 for $6 deal. I got myself a large sandwich. Now my Arby's hat can be taken off... until next time.
Now, to try Vera's.

2010 Feb 19
No derail flandroid; this thread was a train wreck from the start. Which is probably why I can't look away. (New handle btw, sorry for any confusion.)

It seems the best endorsement I've heard about this place is as 'a good alternative to McDo' or whatever. Who ever said McDo even has to be an option?

Another way of excusing eating at a place like this are the overused expressions 'guilty pleasure' or 'comfort food'. I consider guilty pleasures being peanut butter and chocolate, or butter and nutella on toast. Heck even mom's mashed potatoes full of lumps and bacon chunks, drowning in gravy. In other words, real food, just not to be had too often.

Guilty pleasure is often wrongly used in my opinion, to exonerate the occasional consumption of crap. If you invoke 'guilty pleasure' you are excused for partaking in the garbage in question.

Nowadays, I find this has (d)evolved to the point where the guilty are actually being boastful about these habits. Kinda like when somebody almost proudly announces 'well, I was never any good at math'. In other words, 'I sucked at math, but look at me now, I am still successful.'

'I eat crap, but look at me now, I am not 360lb and I don't carry a defibrillator in my briefcase.'

/rant

2010 Feb 19
Will this place be able to survive (I personally don't hit these spots (can't do high sodium) What do people think?

2010 Feb 20
W.C. : I have never tried Arby's before, so I should try it and I will tell you what I think :)

I think moderate consumption of crap doesn't make you fat or sick,
but if you eat crap only all the time, it will kill you just like alcohol.
I eat at McDonald's sometimes, but I don't feel guilty.
I feel guilty when I am too lazy to cook and eat junk food as substitute for dinner.
I ate McDonald's in Japan, Canada, US, Italy, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and all tasted the same!!

2010 Apr 3
I see nobody has added an Arby's vendor entry yet, but I'll just let it be said here... Rd. 2 of my mystery meat challenge included the smallest Arby's rosbif cheese sandwich, with curly fries. The sandwich brought back a flood of memories... not all of them were good. In fact, none of them were. This is a pretty bad sandwich, I'd probably have to be on some kind of "Harold and Kumar" weed/food binge to want to go back (not that I'd know anything about that). The sauces have this overwhelming sweetness to them, they just don't belong. I think I'd order one completely dry next time, then add hot mustard or something to it. That said, I ate about half of it and then resigned myself to the curly fries, which were equally depressing. What a waste.

2010 Apr 8
I'm taking it you did not ring the bell?

2010 Apr 11
I gave Arby's a second shot and it really is the bottom of the fast food world. That said, what our Kanata location serves is noticeably better than what I had in Kingman, AZ. ("It's not bad... but lord it aint good!")

As we drove up, I was laughing because the meat even looks bad in the promotional poster! Greyish, pinkish, and yellowish, it's basically thinly sliced ham made from cow. I had the standard "roast beef" with cheese sandwich combo. The curly fries were great! But that sandwich just isn't right. Avoid the "Arby's sauce" because it introduces a bit of a vomit flavour to the sandwich. On the other hand, I found a combination of Horsy Sauce and Louisiana hot sauce that made the sandwich go down. In the end though, if I'm going to eat a high sodium meal I'd rather have one that tastes great.

2010 Apr 13
I picked up a shawarma from Shararma Prince last week--I'm sure it was high in sodium but it felt fairly healthy. There was a large number of cars/people heading to Arby's across the street on Hazeldean Road...hope they felt as good as I did after my shawarana.

2010 Jul 16
I happen to know someone who knows someone who knows something about this franchise, and all I can say is - wow! I'm not going to throw any numbers around or anything, but I am going to say that especially in a place like Ottawa where this is the only franchise, there is a LOT of money to be made in an Arby's franchise! Anyone considering a food franchise should really take a look at this one! If I were even remotely interested in that sort of thing, I sure would be!

2010 Jul 19
Don't know about the dollars but I drive through the Hazeldean strip regularly and this place always seems to be busy (how the circulatory system of the customers is moving is another story...)

2010 Aug 12
I am not sure which menu item looks more disgusting - any of the Arby's items above or Denny's fried cheese melt: www.shoppingblog.com

2010 Aug 12
Had Arby's for the first time in years over the weekend, and I've got to say:

- Those curly fries are awesome
- That cheese sauce is frightening

Should have tried the turnovers, because they looked pretty tasty.