Creative Japanese mom! [General]

2008 Jun 21
When I watch Japanese movies about school kids, the kids always bring lunch box to school to eat. The lunch always have sushi or some other Japanese food. If the kids open their lunch boxes and see the food inside, I am sure they will be happy to eat the food inside the lunch box. So cute!

Bravo to the creative mom!

2008 Jun 21
More cute photo!

2008 Jun 21
So cute!

2008 Jun 21
One more!

2008 Jun 21
LOL... This one got to be a lunch box for dad.

2008 Jun 21
Now I've heard of edible undies .... but an edible bikini ?

What part do you eat first ?

2008 Jun 21
I have always advocated making the food look nice for kids (especially for already picky eaters)...but these are awesome works of art. Not necessarily the edible undies...is that actually a food...??? (like with nutritional value?)!

2008 Jun 22
very nice indeed. I like the third one. From sausage to lotus root. Hope it tasted as good as it looked!

2008 Jun 23
Man, I WISH I had this much time on my hands to make lunches.

2008 Jun 23
You have time to do anything you want. It's all about priorities...

Anyway, I bet that if you had more time (and kids!) you'd probably be doing something other than spending two hours a day preparing intricate lunches for your kids. I know I would! :-)

2008 Jun 23
I'm going out on a limb here ... but I'm betting most of the fancy looking stuff was bought in a store and just added to the lunch.

2008 Jun 25
I dig the "workers of the world unite" feel to your photo, Da Butcher!

2008 Jun 26
I suspect the "fancy things" are not store bought. But, at the same time, I doubt the average Japanese parent spends that much time prepping kids lunches. Instead, i'm wondering if the above were entered into a contest or something? Googling "bento box competition" returns a bunch of sites and blogs on this topic, e.g.:

justbento.com

and, here are some that are less cute in focus:

www.seriouseats.com

i'd bet some of these bento box designers would make kick-ass designers (web, print ... whatever). So, if i had kids, i might encourage them to play w/ their food more. :)