Where to get duck fat? [General]

2009 Nov 22
If you check out the new LCBO magazine for the month of December, there's an amazing recipe for potatoes in duck fat. I have never attempted to make such a thing, but there's no time like the present. I'm wondering where I can get the duck fat from? Can anyone suggest a place? I wish I could have brought some back from Fauchon Market in Paris, but I didn't want to deal with the mess if it broke. Here's a picture of what I mean. Thanks in advance : )

2009 Nov 23
I know you can get Duck Stock at the Piggy Market, but I suspect you could simply buy a duck somewhere. The high fat content of the duck should permit you to cook it up, potentially just by adding the meat and fat to the potatoes in the recipe.

2009 Nov 23
I have seen it for sale at the Glebe Meat Market.

2009 Nov 23
you can get it at aubreys in the market or at mariposa farm,,,its a little bit of a jaunt but worth the drive...

2009 Nov 23
Most grocery stores in Québec carries it. IGA, Loblaws...That is where I buy mine. Call ahead to find out. Also, Saslove in the Market, sells it year round...I have also seen it at Costco around Christmas time
Keep in mind that Duck fat can be frozen and reused several times. I use it to cook beef and make my duck confit.

2009 Nov 23
I used to buy a tub for about 6-7 bucks at one of the aforementioned spots and it would last me a while. Now, I roast duck maybe once every 2-3 months and before the duck goes in the oven or on the heat I trim all the excess skin from around the neck and tail, put it in a saucepan over very low heat and render the fat for about two hours to get about half a tub, which is plenty for my uses. Crispy duck skin cracklings is just a nice side bonus!